We are very happy to inform our students and readers that we have recently committed to collaborate with a huge organisation working for the welfare of visually impaired called ‘Be My Eyes’. Ever since this app was launched, to the present date, it has 1 million+ downloads, so you can take a hint of its popularity and worthiness. Most of you people would have already heard of it, for those who haven’t, let us provide you some key information about this organisation:
- Be My Eyes is a free mobile app which aims to make the world more accessible for blind and low-visioned people.
- The app basically connects blind and low-visioned individuals with sighted volunteers and companies from all over the world through live-video call, in order to help the visually-impaired people with day-to-day tasks.
- Along with everyday tasks, Be My Eyes’ company partners also provide specialized help via on-demand customer support videos.
HOW IT WORKS:
1. Anyone 17 or older may sign up as a user or volunteer.
2. Calls are connected based on daytime, time zone and language. Average wait time is about 15 seconds.
3. When a call is answered, a live one-way video (two-way audio) is initiated, allowing volunteers or company reps to see what’s in front of the user’s camera and provide verbal support.
THE VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY
Be My Eyes has a multi-lingual support community build-up of millions of volunteers.This app provides 24/7 global support to the visually-impaired with the help of its helpful volunteers. It has about 1,600 volunteers who speak Urdu as a primary language and over 8,000 volunteers who speak it as a secondary language. About 4,500 volunteers are fluent in Hindi as their primary language, while almost 20,000 volunteersof this organisation speak Hindi as a secondary language. This app has recently reached a count of 3 million volunteers from various countries and ethnicities.
WHAT CAN VOLUNTEERS HELP YOU WITH?
• Reading home appliances
• Reading product labels
• Matching outfits and identifying clothes
• Help in the kitchen
• Reading digital displays or computer screens
• Navigating TV or game menus
• Operating vending machines or kiosks
• Sorting music collections or other libraries
• Picking jewellery or crafts
SPECIALIZED HELP AVAILABLE ON TOPICS:
• Web and Computer Technology
• Health and Beauty Products
• Banking and Finance
• Non-profit Organization
So you can understand how Be My Eyes helps visually-impaired people in all walks of life, from the simplest queries to technical guidance, Be My Eyes assists them everywhere. But to keep helping like this it requires more and more sighted volunteers, that’s why we encourage all our readers to sign up to volunteer for them and to support this good cause. For our visually-impaired students, we would like you to join their community as it will definitely prove life-changing to you all.
Team ITVI is supporting Be My Eyes wholeheartedly not just because we are collaborating with them, but because this organisation and their app is actually working to make this world a better place for the visually-impaired, by eliminating some major and minor challenges of their life.
We would like to remind you again, Be My Eyes works completely free of cost, you can call for help as many times you need. The only thing required is a working internet connection to get their help or to volunteer for them.
Sign-up today and be a part of their wonderful and supportive community.
LINK TO BE MY EYES WEBSITE:
LINK TO DOWNLOAD BE MY EYES ON ANDROID:
Saumya Rani (Team ITVI)